Friday, April 18, 2008

It's definitely on

Last week, there was the smell.
Earlier this week, motorcycles, bicycles.
Yesterday, girls on roller-blades and 20 degrees.

It's definitely on. Spring is here.

So, there's been a night and day difference in swimming, quite abruptly.

Last week, fetching rings from the bottom made class suddenly comfortable.

Then yesterday, I was restless from not being to the gym or pool recently, and too hot in the hot tub waiting for class to begin and thinking about how nice it would be to get in; our instructor is also ticking off skills on her list so there was a lot more underwater work -- swimming a distance underwater, and dolphin kicks in preparation for butterfly work. There's something about underwater work that takes me right back to Asia and all the fin-diving I did. And when you know you're going to be under for a minute or more, it becomes crystal clear that you have no need to be taking a breath every 5 seconds. It's just not necessary. And all the skills work keeps you thinking about other things, the way going under with slates and a camera did.

So the bit of front crawl I did was, well, a piece of cake. Easy, comfortable, confident. Now I can just concentrate on the moves. At least until I think about swimming in a river.

Meanwhile, 5km Law Run coming up next Friday. Looking forward to it!

Ok, videos. Two of em. The first one has its "oh, ah AAAAAAHHHHHH!" moment at about the 1-minute mark. The second is pretty much all like that. The experience of either would suffer terribly from stutter, so load entirely ahead of time before playing. Have fun.

Low volume recommended.



Regular volume recommended.

1 Comments:

Blogger julie said...

Wow. And yikes. Those both made me dizzy, and I'm awed. That being said, I don't think I'll try either at home. In particular, I'll leave my flying to something I do only in my dreams :)

9:25 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home