Sunday, May 25, 2008

Two apologies

One: I realize that my last post was a bit creepy. I refer of course to my use of the word "fulsome", which should never be used at any time for any reason.
Two: I completely missed posting my Friday video, which I know is the only reason anyone puts up with my inane mumblings.

This past week was a busy one. Jules and I rented a car (a cute, blue, Kia Rio) and high-tailed it to Quebec City, which for some reason, the inhabitants refer to simply as "Kebec". It was a pretty fabulous week. Aside from our first night's dinner -- it was late and we didn't have time to search out a proper, non-tourist restaurant -- the food was excellent if a bit rich. And our trip timing could scarcely be better. The day we eventually made our way to two museums happened to be the "International Day of Museums", and thus, free. We go to the Fort Museum just in time for their entertaining sound and light show, highlighting the battles of Quebec in a way apparently inspired by the sound and light shows done with dioramas depicting the Civil War down South. We arrive at another museum just in time to don 3-D glasses for a strange fictional cultural film. We put off a tour of the Citadel until arriving on a morning punctuated by cannon blasts. It was the anniversary of the Patriotes' revolt. It was pretty much all like that. And a horse carriage ride. And a ghost tour. And more. The hotel room was a bit small, only one of two rooms on the upper, obviously attic, floor (featuring a slanted bit of low ceiling I dubbed "le bonk"), but it was clean and comfy. The weather was a bit cold, but I had brought appropriate garb.

I suppose I should also add that our initial reason for going was to attend Jules' high school reunion, which provided countless opportunities for riffing on a movie that Jules can actually quote -- Grosse Point Blank. Despite rather lackluster attendance from her year -- it was a cumulative meet -- a good time was had.

As a vacation, it was pretty damn good. The history was tangible and educational -- I've finally learned the strategic function of earthen ramparts -- and the food was fantastic -- we ate caribou and stag, both in fondue and in St. Jean Lac tourtière; lamb, lobster, and sugar pie.

I hadn't been quite sure what to expect of Quebec City. From what I managed to pick up from my high school history classes, I expected it to look pretty much like this. So if you haven't been, even these descriptions may not evoke the proper image. So for your tardy Friday video, here. Quebec City celebrating its 400th is, in every way, exactly like this. But with tourtière.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger julie said...

Sadly, headbanging isn't half as fun as it used to be now that I have short hair..... :(

11:47 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home